I’ve completed the Sports Nutrition module for my Master of Human Nutrition and it’s made me realise the importance of a protein based snack after exercise to provide amino acids to the muscles to help with recovery and growth. I’ve listed the ingredients below the recipe so you can see how each of them combine to make this the perfect after exercise snack. These protein bars are delicious and can be eaten within 30 minutes of exercise or enjoyed as a super healthy snack. You could also make these into protein balls. They are gluten, dairy and nut free, vegan, raw & packed full of nutrients!
Protein Snack Bars
- ¼ cup of hemp seeds (or an alternate raw vegan protein)
- ½ cup hulled tahini
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup cacao nibs
- ¼ cup goji berries
- 1 heaped tsp maca powder
- 1/3 cup ground flaxseed
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp brown rice malt syrup
- Add all the ingredients to a large bowl and mix together until consistently and well combined.
- Place the mixture into a small square baking tray lined with baking paper to mould the bars to the shape you want.
- Store them in the fridge for an hour to harden. Then slice into ten bars.
- Sprinkle with a little desiccated coconut and enjoy straight away.
- Store extras in the fridge.
- Hemp Seeds provide all the essential amino acids and are a good source of essential fatty acids, particularly omega 3
- Tahini provides protein and is a good source of calcium which is essential for bone health
- Pumpkin Seeds provide protein and are naturally high in zinc which is necessary for optimal immune function
- Cacao Nibs provide protein and antioxidants and are very high in magnesium which helps relax muscles and aids in muscular recovery after exercise
- Goji Berries provide protein and are high antioxidant which helps with muscular recovery
- Maca provides protein and helps boost energy and regulate hormones
- Flaxseeds provide protein and are a rich source of essential fatty acids particularly the much needed omega 3
- Chia seeds provide a complete source of protein and are high in other vitamins and minerals
- Coconut Oil helps provide energy and speed up metabolic processes in the body including recovery
- Rice Malt Syrup adds glucose into the mix which studies have shown works well combined with protein for optimal muscle building and recovery
Let me know what you think!