Avocado & Pea Smash on Toast with Lemon Juice and Chilli (optional)
A delicious, nourishing and super easy breakfast, lunch or snack idea. Avocado’s are a great source of healthy monounsaturated fat, they contain more potassium than a banana and are a good source of fibre. Avocado’s are also a rich in antioxidants, the B Vitamins – Folate, B5 & B6, plus Vitamins C, E & K. The peas help add protein and are also a good source of fibre, Vitamins B, C & K, zinc and iron.
I like to add salt, pepper and a sprinkling of chilli flakes to mine to add extra flavour. You can also sprinkle other herbs and spices on top depending upon your flavour preference.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas (I use frozen)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Optional a sprinkling of chilli flakes
- 4 slices of toast (I use gluten free sourdough)
- Cut the ripe avocado in half, peel it and then slice lengthways and cross ways into small squarish chunks and add to a bowl.
- Pour boiling water over the peas (if using frozen) to allow them to thaw then drain the water.
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice to the peas and smash them a little.
- Add the pea mixture to the avocado and mix until evenly combined. You can smash the mixture a little further to get the consistency you desire.
- Add salt, pepper and chilli if using and layer the avocado smash onto the four slices of toast.