Acai bowls are one of my favourite breakfasts or mid morning snacks, particularly in summer time. Made with frozen bananas, they have an ice cream like consistency and it honestly feels more like your eating a treat than a super nutritious breakfast. I always keep frozen bananas in the freezer, peeled and chopped to ensure they are easy to use. This is also a great way to save bananas that are turning brown, peel, chop and freeze them rather than throwing them away.
In the past I have suffered iron deficiency and I’ve noticed a massive difference to my energy levels and the dark circles under my eyes have completely gone since I have been putting a tablespoon of Acai and Maqui into my smoothie bowls.
Acai Smoothie Bowls (serves 2)
- 2 chopped frozen bananas
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tbsp acai powder
- 1 tbsp maqui powder
- 2/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Optional add a handful of spinach to add nutrients
- Toppings of choice (e.g. home made granola, frozen berries, cinnamon
- Add all the ingredients to a blender (beside the toppings) and blend until smooth,
- Add the mixture to two bowls and add toppings of your choice,
- Enjoy straight away.
- Optional – once I’ve blended the smoothie I often add a multi strain probiotic to the Acai bowl and mix this through. You can either break a capsule and empty the contents into the bowl or crush if the probiotic is a tablet. I don’t add it to the blender because I don’t want to heat the probiotic, but it mixes in really well.