These carrot cupcakes are a delicious, gluten & dairy free option that are packed with natural and nutritious ingredients. The cupcakes are vegetarian but can be made vegan by replacing the eggs with 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds mixed with two tablespoons of water. The vegan option needs to be left a little longer to cool as they will come out of the oven softer in the middle but they are deliciously stodgy once cool
These cupcakes have a lot of grated carrot in them to make them as healthy as possible and are great as a snack for kids or adults or are healthy enough to be eaten for breakfast!
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 organic free range eggs
- ¼ cup macadamia oil
- 1.5 cups almond meal
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- ¼ cup brown rice malt syrup
- 2 large or 3 medium carrots grated
- ½ cup organic sultanas
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 180C
- Add the banana, macadamia oil and eggs to a blender and blend quickly to a smooth paste.
- Add the almond meal to a bowl with the baking powder and cinnamon and mix until evenly combined.
- Pour the paste from the blender on top and stir the mixture in evenly.
- Add the brown rice malt syrup, sultanas, walnuts and coconut and mix in again.
- Grate the carrot into the mixture and stir through evenly.
- Line a muffin tray with 8 muffin liners and place the mixture into these.
- These cakes contain a lot of grated carrot so you will need to even out the top of the cupcakes with the back of a spoon to ensure no grated carrot is sticking out (which would burn in the oven).
- Bake at 180C for approximately 25 minutes (check after 20 minutes). You can test the cakes with a fork to check it comes out clean.
- Leave to cool. The cakes will harden as they cool.