Here’s a healthy snack recipe that can also be enjoyed when you need to grab a quick breakfast on the go. These muffins provide a good source of protein and healthy fats including anti-inflammatory omega-3. I like to use minimal maple syrup with these muffins to keep the natural sugars low – I find the apples are sweet enough, but experiment and see how you go. The less natural sugar you consume, the less you crave it!
Apple, Walnut & Sesame Muffins
Makes 6 large muffins. Heat the oven to 170C (fan-based).
These muffins are gluten, dairy and refined sugar free.
- 2 cups of almond meal
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons of pure maple syrup (depending on how sweet you like them)
- 3 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 apple cut into small chunks
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
- To a large bowl add the almond meal, baking soda, eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla extract and mix until evenly combined.
- Add the chopped apple and pecans and mix them through until evenly combined.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds onto a plate.
- Roll the cake dough into 6 muffins and then roll these through the sesame seeds.
- Place the muffins into muffin liners and bake for 15 minutes.