I’ve put together the perfect muscular recovery smoothie to enjoy after a bout of exercise. The smoothie contains optimal amounts of protein:carbohydrate to assist muscular recovery. Because exercise induces inflammation and produces free radicals within the body, the smoothie includes anti-inflammatory omega 3 and is a rich source of antioxidants. Magnesium rich cacao provides muscular relaxation, whilst the himalayan salt and coconut water help re-hydrate the body with electrolytes and trace minerals. The smoothie has a delicious chocolate berry flavour. If you are using a different form of protein to hemp seeds, follow the optional instructions to add omega 3.
I’d love to know what you think of this smoothie, so feel free to drop me a line below
Delicious Chocolate Berry Muscle Recovery Smoothie
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds (protein for muscle recovery and omega 3 for a beneficial anti-inflammatory effect)
- 1 banana (potassium & carbohydrate to assist muscular recovery)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (antioxidants & Vitamin C)
- 1 tablespoon cacao (rich source of magnesium – a beneficial muscle relaxant)
- Pinch himalayan sea salt (electrolytes and trace minerals)
- 500mls filtered water or coconut water (coconut water will add additional electrolytes)
- Handful organic spinach leaves (additional protein and increases alkalinity)
- Multi-strain probiotic capsule (studies have shown probiotics help boost the immune system of athletes)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds, hemp/flaxseed oil (if using an alternate form of protein to hemp seeds add one of these to boost omega 3 & essential fatty acid levels. Add last after blending other ingredients and ensure you blend with frozen berries or ice because flaxseeds & hemp oil have a low smoking point).