Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is a seed that is regularly used like a grain. It is high in protein, iron, zinc, magnesium, vitamin E and fibre and is gluten free. It can be used in the same way as rice and couscous and is great to include in sweet or savoury recipes.
Delicious Quinoa Porridge
- 1/2 cup rinsed quinoa
- 1 cup milk of choice (I use almond)
- 1/2 cup water
- Toppings of choice (see below)
- Place the quinoa into a small saucepan with the milk and water.
- Simmer for 12-15 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.
- Keep checking and add extra water or milk as required.
- After 12-15 minutes the mixture should be light and fluffy.
- To add sweetness add a pinch of stevia, raw honey or pure maple syrup.
- Add a sprinkling of nuts and seeds and any of the following to add more nutrients and delicious flavours.
- Cinnamon – great for balancing blood sugar levels and rich in antioxidants.
- Goji berries – very rich in nutrients and antioxidants.
- Blueberries, raspberries, blackberries – berries are antioxidant powerhouses and a low sugar fruit.
- Coconut flakes – a healthy dose of medium chain triglyceride fat which (unlike other fats) goes straight into providing us with energy. They also help to increase memory capacity.
- A dollop of coconut cream or yoghurt (see above).