WARMING, IMMUNE BOOSTING MUSHROOM RISOTTO
A great, healthy comfort food for a cold evening. The recipe uses Shiitake Mushrooms & lots of garlic to help strengthen the immune system, making this a great recipe to enjoy during the cold winter months. I like to serve the risotto with a side of green vegetables or salad to lower the starchy carbohydrate content of the meal. Mushrooms are a good source of protein as well as the rice and vegetables, so serving the risotto with some greens and sliced avocado can help make a healthy balanced meal.
WARMING MUSHROOM RISOTTO
- 1 tbsp good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 6 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 150g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3 teaspoons of dried thyme
- 275g arborio rice
- 1 litre of good quality vegetable stock
- Sliced spring onion to garnish
- sautéed green vegetables & sliced avocado
- a green salad & sliced avocado
- crispy onions
- Make up a litre of stock and keep this warm.
- Heat the olive oil on a medium heat in a large saucepan, and add the chopped onions and garlic and lightly sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the chestnut mushrooms and sauté for a further five minutes until they soften, then add the shiitake mushrooms and stir for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the rice and thyme to the pan and stir in for a minute before adding the stock a ladle at a time. Ensure the stock has been absorbed by the rice before adding another ladle. This should take around 30 minutes in total.
- Once the stock is absorbed and the rice is cooked season with salt and pepper and serve.
- See the serving suggestions above for how to enjoy your risotto.