Here’s a great meat free Monday recipe to enjoy. Root vegetables like sweet potatoes and carrots are a good source of complex carbohydrates and are low glycemic foods that are high in fibre. Orange coloured fruit and vegetables are a rich source of betacarotene which is converted to vitamin A in the body. They are also a beneficial source of vitamin C.
The spices turmeric, cumin and coriander, help add anti-inflammatory properties and also help support the gut microbiome. Most people don’t eat enough veggies, so including some vegetarian meals during the week is a great way to increase intake. This stew is delicious, health promoting, nutritious and balanced.
SPICY ROOT VEGETABLE STEW
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
- 1-2 pinches of chilli
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into small cubes
- 1 medium carrot cut into small cubes
- 1 medium parsnip, cut into small cubes
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 large handfuls of kale
- 1 tin of pinto beans (optional)
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube (I use Kallo)
- 250mls filtered water
- 2/3 cup quinoa
- 1/2 tbsp nori flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1 lemon cut into four slices
- Add the coconut oil to a large pan and melt over a medium heat and then add the onion and garlic and sauté for around 3 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add the spices and mix these together evenly with the garlic and onions.
- Add the chopped sweet potato and mix these into the herbs, then do the same with the carrot and parsnip and sauté the vegetables for a few minutes.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, bouillon cube and filtered water and mix all the ingredients together until evenly combined.
- Cover and allow the mixture to simmer on a low to medium heat for around 25 minutes.
- In the meantime rinse the quinoa well and add to a sauce pan with around 1.5 cup’s of filtered water and cook for around 12 minutes (you may need to add more water so keep checking the quinoa).
- Once the quinoa is cooked, drain it and add to a serving bowl and mix the nori flakes through.
- After 15 minutes add the kale to the stew and mix this through evenly.
- After 25 minutes check the root vegetables are cooked and if you are adding the pinto beans add these and mix them through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the stew with 1/2 cup quinoa & a sprinkling of chopped basil and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.