Quinoa, Buckwheat & Cacao Hot Cross Buns with Goji Berries
These Superfood Hot Cross Buns are super yummy, deliciously moist and packed full of fruity goodness. They are a fantastic alternative to shop bought varieties which can be high in sugar, preservatives & additives. They are so delicious we’re onto our second batch already! These buns are vegan, gluten and refined sugar free.
Ingredients (Makes 9 small buns)
- 1 cup of buckwheat flour
- 1 cup of quinoa flour
- 1 cup freshly squeezed apple juice
- 1 cup filtered water
- ½ cup organic figs
- ½ cup organic apricots
- ¼ cup organic sultanas
- ¼ organic goji berries
- 2 teaspoons organic cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons of organic instant dried yeast
- 2 teaspoons of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon rice Malt syrup
- Coconut oil – to line the muffin tray
For the Cross
- 2 tablespoons cacao
- 2 tablespoons rice malt syrup
- 1 teaspoon boiling water
For the Glaze
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- Add all the bun ingredients to a large bowl and stir for around 3 minutes until the ingredients are well combined and the mixture is light and fluffy,
- Cover the bowl with a plate (I use a glass chopping board) and leave for an hour and a half to let the dough rise,
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C,
- Using some baking paper, grease a muffin tray with a thick layer of coconut oil (to prevent the buns from sticking),
- Place the mixture into 9 of the muffin compartments. I use a 1/3 measuring cup to measure out the mixture equally,
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove the muffins from the baking tray (you may need a spoon to gently separate the top of the muffins from the baking tray, but after this they should lift out quite easily),
- Make the glaze in a bowl and one by one dip the top of the muffins into the glaze. This will give the muffins the lovely glossy coating.
- Make the cacao cross in a bowl and then with a piping bag create the crosses on the muffins. Place the muffins in the fridge to allow the cross to dry,
- Enjoy these super nutritious, delicious muffins for tea, dessert, a snack or even breakfast.
Like our recipes and posts? Please comment below, we love to hear back from you.