When I know I have a busy week ahead, I’ll bake some nutritious muffins so that I have something to grab for breakfast or a snack during the day. As the saying goes ‘fail to prepare….prepare to fail’. I know if I don’t have good foods on hand, I’ll end up buying something not as healthy that I don’t really want. It’s good to put aside an hour or two on a Sunday to prepare for the week ahead. It saves time during the week and ensures you have delicious, nutritious foods on hand.
These muffins have a lovely rich hazelnut flavour. The hazelnuts & eggs provide protein, the macadamia oil and hazelnuts provide healthy fats and the berries provide a burst of vitamin C and antioxidants. These muffins are gluten, dairy & refined sugar free.
Hazelnut Blueberry Muffins
- 150g bag of hazelnuts (or 1 and 1/2 cups of hazelnut meal)
- 3 organic free range eggs
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon of macadamia nut oil
- 2 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup of organic blueberries (could also use raspberries or mixed berries)
- Preheat the oven to 180C
- Blend the hazelnuts in a high speed blender until a hazelnut meal is formed. This should take around 10 seconds. Be careful not to over blend or the nuts will start to form a paste.
- Add the hazelnut meal to a bowl and mix in the eggs, vanilla essence, macadamia oil, rice malt syrup & baking soda until the mixture is evenly combined.
- Add the blueberries last and mix them through evenly. Don’t over mix as the cupcakes will turn purple
- Separate the mixture into 12 mini cup cake holders or 6 larger cup cake holders.
- Bake for 20 minutes & enjoy straight away!