Sweet Potato & Millet Burgers with Lime & Coriander Guacamole served with sauteed broccoli, beans & asparagus with toasted hemp seeds & tamari.
This is a delicious light plant based alkaline recipe for a Meat Free Monday or any other day of the week! Millet is a grain that is naturally gluten free and high in protein and magnesium with a mildly sweet, nutty flavour. You can also roll these burgers into falafels or add spices such as cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper for a spicy flavour.
- 1.5 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 2 medium sized)
- 1/2 cup millet flour
- 1/3 cup chopped spring onion
- ¼ cup parsley
- ½ cup coriander
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large egg
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Bake the sweet potato’s whole in the oven at 200c (170c fan based) for around 30-40 minutes until soft. Peel the skins and mash the potato and allow the mash to cool a little.
- Place the mashed sweet potato in a bowl and add the millet, spring onion, parsley, coriander, garlic and egg.
- Mix together well with clean hands. Add salt and pepper to taste, then form into 8 patties. I do this with a 1/4 cup measure which helps give the burgers their shape.
- Coat a pan with coconut oil (because you want to heat the pan till it’s hot). Place the patties in the pan when it’s hot then reduce the heat to medium.
- Cook until golden brown on each side and cooked through.
- Try a little lime squeezed on top to add flavour or add the guacamole recipe below.
- Serve with sauteed vegetables with added hemp seeds and a splash of tamari.
LIME AND CORIANDER GUACAMOLE
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2-3 tablespoons of freshly chopped coriander
- Juice of 1/2 a big lime
- Peel and chop the avocado and place in a bowl with the chopped coriander and lime juice,
- Stir the mixture till evenly combined and then smash the avocado a little to get the consistency you desire. Enjoy straight away!