Here’s a delicious healthy lunch or snack idea. This is one of my favourite lunches. I have it once a week because it’s delicious and provides a rich source of iodine, a mineral known to be deficient in Australian soils and therefore it’s vegetables.
Seaweeds are packed full of minerals, vitamins & antioxidants. They have been widely studied for their benefits to weight loss, hormone & blood sugar regulation, improving thyroid function & heart health, and for their detoxification properties.
You can purchase seaweeds dry in packets and hydrate them in cold water.
- Wakame is high in calcium & magnesium. It can help reduce water retention and contains a pigment called fucoxanthin, which can help improve insulin resistance. It has been studied for its benefits to weight loss.
- Nori is very high in protein, fibre, omega-3 fatty acids, Vitamin C and Vitamin B12.
- Kombu is very high in iodine, which is required for healthy thyroid function and metabolism. It has been studied for its benefits to heart health because it contains a phytochemical (fucoidan) which acts as an anticoagulant.
- Arame is high in potassium and has anti-viral properties. It has been studied for its benefits to weight loss.
- Nori Sheets – it’s easier to invest in a rolling bamboo sheet to roll the sushi.
- Seaweed – I use a mix of wakame, dulce flakes & arame, rehydrate them in water and then soak them in 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar, 1 TBSP tamari and a splash of organic toasted sesame oil – delicious!
- Quinoa – cook as per packet instructions, then rinse in cool filtered water & drain.
- Sushi ingredients – steamed asparagus, avocado, cucumber, fresh ginger. Other veggies that work include carrot or red pepper (capsicum).
- Place the nori sheet onto the bamboo rolling kit
- Once cool add a 2 cm layer of quinoa into the centre of the sheet
- Add the drained seaweed, and other sushi ingredients into the centre of the sheet onto of the quinoa
- Roll the sushi using the bamboo roller and wet the edge of the nori sheet a little to stick.
- Serve with some fresh ginger, organic wasabi and organic tamari for dipping.