Although it is generally thought of as a grain, buckwheat is the fruit seed of a broadleaf plant related to rhubarb. In culinary terms it is used like a grain and is a highly nutritious food, which contains many health-boosting properties.
- Buckwheat is an excellent source of magnesium & dietary fibre and a good source of B vitamins including folate, calcium, potassium, phosphorus zinc & iron.
- It contains all the essential amino acids making it a great vegan protein source.
- It has a higher protein content than many other grains like rice, wheat and millet and is high in the essential amino acids lysine and arginine, which are often lacking in grains.
- It is gluten free and is therefore safe for people with gluten intolerance or coeliac disease.
Herbed Buckwheat Pizza Base
These pizza bases are easy to make, thin and crispy with the herbs adding extra flavour. They are a great healthy alternative to traditional pizza bases and delicious too. The bases work well with vegan toppings or you could add some goat or sheep cheese or buffalo mozzarella, keeping the pizza’s lovely and healthy.
Ingredients for the base:
- 1.5 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup chopped basil
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Tomato puree
- Chopped onion
- Chopped veggies of your choice
- Goats cheese
- Pine nuts
- Basil and other herbs
- Preheat the oven to 190C (170C fan based) & line a baking tray with oiled baking paper,
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and mix until well combined. Form the dough into a ball. At this stage the dough will be quite sticky,
- Smooth the dough onto the oiled baking tray into the shape of the pizza you desire,
- Bake the pizza base for 20 minutes and then remove from the oven and add toppings of your choice.
- Bake for approximately another 10 minutes and then serve.