What is raw food?
Raw foods are foods, which have not been heated above 45°C to preserve their nutrient content. These foods are literally alive with vital nutrients, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals & enzymes, which are depleted or destroyed when foods are over processed or heated. Nowadays soils tend to be nutrient depleted, which has led to reduced nutrient levels within foods we consume. Including raw foods in our diet helps provide the important nutrients & enzymes our bodies require for optimal health & will make a big difference to how you feel.
Benefits of including raw foods in the diet include:
- Increased energy
- Elevated mood
- Brighter & clearer skin
- Reduced cellulite & bloating
- Weight loss
- Improved concentration
- Improved sleep patterns
- Improved digestion
Enzymes are needed for almost every function within the body including digestion. As we age we become less efficient at producing enzymes, so supplementing the bodies source with raw foods can give our bodies the helping hand they require, preserving energy for other vital functions such as cellular repair and healing. Enzymes are denatured during the heating process and although vitamins and minerals are available they will be depleted.
Important raw foods to include in the diet are:
- Leafy greens and salad veggies
- Fruits – choose a variety of in season fruit
- Vegetables – choose brightly coloured veggies
- Raw nuts such as almonds, cashews & walnuts
- Seeds such as raw sprouted buckwheat & quinoa & chia seeds
- Sea vegetables like nori, kombu, wakame, dulce & arame
- Juices & smoothies – include the skin on fruit & veggies to keep the fibre intact
At Natural Health Forever we have many raw food recipes you can try. Click here to try our Raw, Activated, Sprouted Granola recipe!