Bircher muesli was created by a Swiss Doctor, Maximilian Bircher-Benner around 1900, to ensure patients at his hospital consumed a healthy, nutritious, balanced breakfast that was easy to digest, to help them recover. He used whole grain oats with fresh fruit, and soaked the muesli overnight to keep the food raw and bursting with nutrients. Soaking the oats overnight starts breaking down phytic acid which makes the oats easier to digest and absorb, meaning your body receives more of the nutrients from these food.
This really is one of the healthiest and most delicious breakfasts you can make!
Wholegrain oats contain beta-glucan a type of soluble fibre helps soak up cholesterol and pushes it through the digestive so that it’s not absorbed, helping to lower cholesterol levels. Wholegrain or rolled oats are rich in protein, fibre, B vitamins and magnesium. Gluten free oats are ones that haven’t been contaminated by wheat whilst growing or in the manufacturing process. Choosing gluten free, which are readily available in supermarkets, will ensure the oats are easier to digest and absorb.
The ground flaxseeds provide a boost of anti-inflammatory omega 3 and are a great source of fibre. Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of protein including tryptophan (a precursor to serotonin) and are a good source of zinc. The raspberries and pomegranate are packed with antioxidants & immune boosting vitamin C. The pumpkin seeds and pomegranate add a nice crunch and a burst of flavour. Coconut milk is a good source of iron and magnesium. I opt for the lighter version which provides just as good a taste and is less rich and lower in fat.
Pomegranate, Raspberry & Pumpkin Seed Bircher Muesli
(6 lady portions or 4 man sized :))
- 1 x 440ml tin of organic light coconut milk `
- 150g fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (could also use honey or date syrup)
- 1 x 200g packet of pomegranate seeds.
- 2 cups gluten free whole grain oats
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 4 tbsp ground flaxseeds
- Place the coconut milk, raspberries and maple syrup into a food processor or blender and blend until combined. This should only take around 10-20 seconds.
- Place the oats, flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds in a large bowl and mix until evenly combined.
- Gradually add the coconut milk mixture until all ingredients are mixed together evenly.
- Add the pomegranate seeds and mix these through.
- Add the bircher muesli to an airtight container and keep overnight to make the muesli, bircher style .
- Enjoy for breakfast or as a snack and store in the fridge for 3-4 days.